Proper calibration of aircraft tooling and test equipment is essential when managing your overall quality and maintenance systems.
And choosing the right calibration and repair service provider is crucial, but not always easy.
There are several measures you can take to ensure your tooling and test equipment is always accurate.
Some companies send their equipment back the manufacturer for calibration.
Other companies rely on a third party calibration lab, while others try to establish their own calibration lab internally (although cost as well as the strict regulatory environment of the aerospace industry makes this practice rather uncommon).
Each of these tactics comes with their own set of pros and cons…
Below are 5 things to remember when choosing your calibration services provider
- The cost of having a manufacturer calibrate your aircraft tooling and test equipment is twofold.
1) An OEM will usually be significantly higher than using a third party calibration lab. If you have a number of pieces that require regular calibration, cost and turn time become important factors in your decision.
2) Manufacturers who can calibrate your equipment tend to have longer turnaround times than third parties due to the lack of response to their customers, volume of work or shipping delays.
- Many test equipment manufacturers cannot provide NIST traceable or accredited calibration services for the aftermarket. If you operate in an industry with stringent regulations, such as aerospace maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO), is it important to check with your test equipment calibration provider, OEM or third party about their ability to provide such documentation.
- Streamline the vendor management process and reduce costs by selecting one calibration services provider to perform most of your work.
- Is the lab capable of providing you with a calibration that will meet all your requirements?
- Is the calibration services provider you are considering operating to a traceable standard or accredited in any way?
- What are the average turn times quoted by your provider?
- Does that fit into your timetable?
- Does your provider go above and beyond to get your tooling and test equipment back to you in case of an urgent requirement?
About InterSky calibration services
Located in Memphis, TN, InterSky is a full service calibration and repair laboratory providing a full scope of calibration / repair services traceable to NIST for most popular calibration, test, and measurement instruments by manufacturers such as Fluke, IFR, Aeroflex, Barfield, Druck, Pacific Scientific, Tel-Instruments and more. Our aircraft tooling and test equipment calibration services are provided in our climate-controlled, state-of-the-art laboratory and based in the logistics capital of the U.S.A. Our customer service team is ready to quickly respond to your requests and requirements.
InterSky Precision Instruments, Inc. offers calibration services for a wide range of aviation and avionics instruments. InterSky is ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994 certified, NIST traceable with extensive capabilities across all categories of aircraft tooling, test equipment and instruments.